Monday, August 22, 2011

Advice on Prayer

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." ---Philippians 4:6


One of my greatest struggles in my Christian walk is praying as often as I need to. It's always been a problem for me...so I needed help. This year I was blessed to be able to attend Polishing the Pulpit. I heard many wonderful, inspiring lessons and came back refreshed and motivated to serve God. Among those lessons was a class on improving personal prayer taught by Mike Vestal. Although he gave a load of great advice on improving my prayer life, there was one tip that changed everything for me.


He called it "right then and there." 


What he meant by those words is that whenever we think about praying, we should do it immediately. Many times I'll think "oh, I need to pray for that person" or someone will ask me to pray for them and even though I have every intention on doing it later, I forget about it ...and then I beat myself up some more about my need to pray more frequently.


I took that piece of advice and I've been using it ever since that class. You know what I've noticed? I've been praying more! 


I think anyone would agree that prayer is an important ingredient to the Christian life. It's such a powerful tool that is used so scarcely. We need to take advantage of it! Stop sitting around and thinking of how much better things would be if people prayed more and just PRAY! In the words of a preacher, "don't just stand there....pray something!!"


Here's your challenge: Someone will ask for your prayers. The next time this happens, ask that person if they would mind praying together right then. I am certain it would mean a lot to them....and to you.


It's always comforting to know that you have someone praying for you. Be that person for others!


"Pray without ceasing." --- 1 Thessalonians 5:17















1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing what you learned with those of us unable to attend. What a practical thing to do- praying RIGHT then & there!

    ReplyDelete